September 8, 2009

Mullein Tea

Today I yet again experienced the anti-sore-throat properties of Common Mullein (Verbascum thapsus). I collected quite a bunch in Missouri, and hung the leaves to dry. The underside of the bunk above mine looked like a tobacco barn with all the leaves hanging to dry!

I was feeling a little rusty in my throat today, and quickly made myself some tea. My throat felt better within an hour of drinking it. I had recently read that it is important to strain the tea through cheese cloth to prevent the hairs on the leaves from irritating your throat. I've never had that problem before, but of course now that I read it, I began to have this problem. Indeed small particles of the leaves would go down my throat and get stuck, causing an annoying irritation. I just drank some water and it went away.

I think Mullein tea has a good flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment